Curious about sex therapy? Whether you’re looking to see a therapist to resolve a bedroom issue, seeking resources in conjunction with work you’re doing with a sex therapist, or just curious about branching out in your s-e-x life, we’ve got you covered!
Here are some starting resources for sex therapy:
Sex Therapy Institutes
- The American Association of Sexuality Educators is a professional organization for sex educators, counselors, and therapists.
- The Center for Sexual Pleasure & Health is a sexuality education and training organization that works to reduce sexual shame, challenge misinformation, and advance the field of sexuality.
- The Institute of OM helps people to increase health, happiness and connection through scientifically-proven methods combining mindfulness and sexuality.
- FOREPLAY: Radio Sex Therapy for Couples Hosted by nationally-acclaimed sex therapist and author Laurie Watson and couples counselor Dr. Adam Mathews, and covers the topics of sex, marriage, intimacy, love and committed partnership.
- I Want It That Way – Bustle’s Sex and Relationships Podcast Hosted by editors from Bustle who examine everything from sexual health experts to pick-up artists to Tinder.
- Love is like a plant Hosted by Ellen Huerta, founder of Mend (letsmend.com), an app that helps you through a break up, and Sarah May B (YayWithMe.com), the podcaster behind Help Me Be Me and The Break-Up Album, this is a podcast about relationships, dating, sex and heartbreak
- Becoming Cliterate: Why Orgasm Equality Matters – And How to Get It by Dr. Laurie Mintz – This book exposes the broader cultural problem that’s perpetuating the “orgasm gap,” and proposes what we can do about it.
- Girl Sex 101 by Allison Moon – A must-read for anyone who is a girl, has sex with girls, or is thinking about having sex with girls. In exploring topics like consent, pleasure, and communication, this book is totally inclusive of all types of people and bodies.
- Exploring Intimacy: Cultivating Healthy Relationships through Insight and Intuition by Suzann Panek Robins – In this book, readers learn to utilize a variety of pathways that will change their responses to others and will produce lasting, more rewarding, and closer relationships in all areas of their lives.
- Partners In Passion: A Guide to Great Sex, Emotional Intimacy and Long-term Love by Mark A. Michaels – This book invites couples to design their relationships and to choose consciously, and is replete with how-to suggestions and exercises, including interviews with couples from diverse backgrounds, relationship styles, and orientations who are enjoying erotically vibrant partnerships.
- The Ethical Slut: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships & Other Adventures by Janet W. Hardy – This book is for anyone who has ever dreamed of love, sex, and companionship beyond the limits of traditional monogamy, this groundbreaking guide navigates the infinite possibilities that open relationships can offer.”
- An introduction to sex toys answers your burning FAQS, like what materials are safe? Where should I buy them from?
- Dr. Shannon Chavez is a nationally recognized expert, therapist, and educator specializing in “all things sexuality”
- Lioness is a blog on all things sex and sexuality, from the creators of the world’s first “smart vibrator”
- Esther Perel is an internationally celebrated “expert on relationships and sexuality”
Films and Videos
- Netflix – Explained: “The Female Orgasm” is a short (less than 20-minute) film on the complexities and nuances of the female orgasm.
- “The Secret to Desire in a Long-Term Relationship” is aTED talk by Esther Perel
- Sexplanations is a YouTube series hosted Dr. Lindsey Doe that has videos on a wide range of topics from sex therapy to masturbation to relationship styles.